Re: Ethernet strangeness.

> If I boot both machines, and start each of them pinging the other,
> nothing happens for about 90 seconds, then the floodgates open, and
> all the ping packets get sent and echoed by the other.

My guess is that it's a nameserver problem.  One machine is trying to look
up the other, and, I would guess, not having much luck finding a nameserver
on your little network.  It eventually times out, gives up, and gets on
with life.  Tweaking /etc/host.conf may solve your problem.

jon

Jonathan Corbet
National Center for Atmospheric Research, Atmospheric Technology Division
corbet@stout.atd.ucar.edu	     http://www.atd.ucar.edu/rdp/jmc.html