Re: Ethernet strangeness.

On Tue, 30 Jan 1996, Steve Preston wrote:

> I've got these two PC's at home, and was able to scrounge 2 ethernet
> cards for them.  One machine is still running an old Slackware
> distribution; the other has debian 0.93R6.
>
> They both detect their ethernet boards, and I added 'ifconfig' and
> 'route' commands to the startup scripts.
>
> If I boot both machines, and start each of them pinging the other,
> nothing happens for about 90 seconds, then the floodgates open, and
> all the ping packets get sent and echoed by the other.
>
> After this happens, network operation is normal; I can
> telnet/ftp/etc.

I had something simular happen at home on my system some time ago (at
that time I was running slackware) and the other system was DOS using
NCSA telnet.   I am not sure what finaly fixed but I thing it had to do
with not setting default route on my linux system.  Try something like

/sbin/route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

where ${GATEWAY} machine acting as a gateway.

BTW.  On debian this was already done for me in /etc/init.d/network so
you may just want to look there.

--
Alexander Goldstein                         email: agoldste@uic.edu