Lockup during install.

     Over the weekend I attempted to install from the floppy set onto
my NEC Versa S laptop.  (4 Meg ram 42 Meg hd partition 8 Meg swap
partition).  It went thru the boot disk fine but locked several times
on the root disk.  The only thing I have been able to do is partition
the drive.  I'm extremely new to linux but I had a Slackware system
installed and it ran fine.  Before installing Debian I removed the
slackware partitions then set them up again using Debian's fdisk.

  HELP!