Re: remote clock sync

On Fri, 26 Jan 1996 Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca wrote:

> Can someone give me a hint about where to find a remote time server? As I
> never reboot with this darn stable 1.2.13 kernel, my clock gets badly out of
> sync. For what it's worth, I'm in Eastern Ontario, bordering New York state.

I have the following script in my /etc/cron.monthly directory:

#!/bin/sh
#
# set the system time
netdate time.nist.gov time.bldrdoc.gov time.colorado.edu > /tmp/netdate 2>&1
# set the cmos clock
clock -w

Netdate doesn't set your CMOS clock.  So if you run netdate, then reboot,
your clock is going to be off.  "clock -w" writes the CMOS clock from the
kernel's system time.  If your CMOS clock is less accurate than mine, you
could put this script in /etc/cron.weekly or /etc/cron.daily.

Gerry
gerry@blue.intele.net