Re: here's another one....

On Fri, 24 Nov 1995 tomk@westgac3.dragon.com wrote:

> I'm at wit's end with this one... I receive news from my feed. If innd
> is down, the compressed batch articles go to the correct directory
> (/var/spool/news/in.coming). Running 'rnews -U' results in the
> following message in 'news.notice'....  I've checked permissions
> on rnews & gzip. I checked /usr/lib/news/innshellvars for correct
> entries. What am I overlooking? Private Email please 8-)

> Nov 24 21:12:48 westgac3 innd: localhost connected 14
> Nov 24 21:12:48 westgac3 rnews: cant execv gzip No such file or directory
> Nov 24 21:12:55 westgac3 last message repeated 54 times
> Nov 24 21:12:55 westgac3 innd: localhost:14 closed seconds 7 accepted 0 refused 0 rejected 0

Find out where rnews is expecting to find gzip (i think it's looking in
./ which is probably ~news or /usr/lib/news, possibly even /usr/bin).
Use "strace rnews -U" or "strings -a rnews | grep gzip" or whatever
method you prefer.

Make a symbolic link from /bin/gzip to wherever it is that rnews expects
to find gzip.

Bloody hard-coded paths!  Can't see the point in them myself...saves all
of a few microseconds searching through the (cached!) PATH directories.

Can't remember them all off the top of my head, but there's a few more
similar "gotchas" with the debian INN packaage...I suppose that's why it
was taken out from public view (I found a copy on my March 95 Infomagic
Linux CD).

Craig
--
  cas@muffin.pronet.com                                cas@muffin.apana.org.au
   *       Unix Consulting:  Installation, Configuration, & Support.        *