Re: ppp not stable

Matthew Swift wrote:

>     Junebug> string, i send ' ATZ OK ATDTXXXXXXX CONNECT ..... ' the
>
> Sorry I can't help you with your ppp problem.  It is likely, however,
> that before anyone else can help you, you will need to be much more
> specific than that your connection is "jumpy".

Right.

> Another point: I think you'll wear out your modem's eeprom by issuing
> "ATZ" frequently.  I think "ATZ" is short for "ATZ0" which copies user
> profile 0 into the current profile.

I've never heard of reads wearing out an eeprom.

> Anyway, just plain "AT" also gives
> the response "OK", so I recommend that.

True, but it doesn't do anything. You don't need to have the first
send-expect sequence, at least theoretically you don't.

I recommend to both Matt and Junebug that you get some decent info on
profiles and configuration strings for your modems. This is particularly
true if you are working with a 28.8 modem. The configuration settings
are complicated, and the factory defaults may not always be what you
want (AT&F resets the modem to factory defaults, btw).

I had a major problem with my Zoom VFP modem and went poking around
their BBS. I found a great file posted by a very knowledgable user. His
advice solved all of my modem problems. He also goes into detail about
line noise. I will email it to anyone who thinks it would be useful. If
you don't have a Zoom, just try to find some similar information.

--
Jeffrey Ebert-------------------------------------jebert@ix.netcom.com