Re: INN/CNEWS package?

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.91.951119212350.15439A-100000@muffin> Craig Sanders <cas%muffin@muffin.pronet.com> writes:

> On Sat, 18 Nov 1995, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
>
> > Olaf Erb writes:
> >
> > > I just browsed through the archive, but can't find anything about a
> > > news package for debian, but dependencies from other packages that
> > > mention cnews|inn.  Somewhere I found inn-1.4sec-7.deb, it isn't
> > > included anymore..
> > >
> > > Was INN removed because of copyright reasons?
> >
> > INN was removed from general view because the Debianised version was
> > too buggy; the maintainer didn't have time to work on it in among
> > other Debian and non-Debian stuff.
> >
> > I'm not aware of anyone having volunteered to take it over.  I've a
> > little experience with INN but currently don't have the time either.

> What was buggy about it?
>
> I just recompiled the source for INN (from sunsite.unc.edu -
> /pub/Linux/system/News/inn1.4sec-linux-src.tgz) and it seems to be
> working fine so far.

The problem wasn't with INN itself, but with the Debian
package. (Hint: If you run a news server with INN on Debian, it
wouldn't be too much more work to create a Debian package.)

(If you really start packaging INN, it might be a good idea to look at
the old package first.)

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph (sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de); WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/