Re: INN/CNEWS package?

On Mon, 20 Nov 1995, Sven Rudolph wrote:

> > What was buggy about it?
> >
> > I just recompiled the source for INN (from sunsite.unc.edu -
> > /pub/Linux/system/News/inn1.4sec-linux-src.tgz) and it seems to be
> > working fine so far.
>
> The problem wasn't with INN itself, but with the Debian
> package. (Hint: If you run a news server with INN on Debian, it
> wouldn't be too much more work to create a Debian package.)
>
> (If you really start packaging INN, it might be a good idea to look at
> the old package first.)

Well, I'm really not that good a C programmer.  I can write small
special-purpose utilities with no problems, although I generally use sh or
perl if speed isn't crucial.  I can compile things, I can even hack them a
bit to make them work if they're a bit broken, and I can edit source files
to customise them to conform to my idiosyncratic view of how things should
work.

Debugging and maintaining a huge program like INN as a debian package is
beyond my C programming skills, I think.

However, I'd be happy to help anyone who did want to do that by working on
fixing up the debian install/config script (perl or sh, presumably?)

I've installed INN on enough machines now to know what SHOULD be done -
unfortunately, I think that most of INN's config will have to be done
manually.  inn.conf can be generated easily, the rest really has to be
customised to each individual site.

Craig

--
  cas@muffin.pronet.com                                cas@muffin.apana.org.au
   *       Unix Consulting:  Installation, Configuration, & Support.        *