Re: Cnews vs. INN for UUCP news?

On Wed, 15 Nov 95 08:17 PST, "Debian Linux" <debian-user@pixar.com> wrote:
> I'm a very happy user of Debian, and have set up one of my machines with little
> fuss.  Before I convert my main machine (ecomcon) to run Debian instead of
> Slackware, I need to get netnews running.
>
> Debian doesn't come with a configured news system, as far as I can tell.  I've
> spent a lot of time trying to get INN to work, but each time I think I've got
> things set up, another roadblock appears.  I've used and know Cnews, but try
> finding an accurate pointer to the source ... it's a reasonably well kept
> secret (or presumed to be so much common knowledge that it's never mentioned).
>
> I'm looking for opinions about these two news systems and/or pointers to
> working configurations for one or both using UUCP-only feeds.

Steve,   I'm a UUCP only site. 1st thing is to get the UUCP package configured
and "up & running" before tackling news. I use "inn" for my news distribution.
That package takes some attention to detail to get configured correctly.
For mail distribution, I use Smail. It's easier to get configured than "sendmail".
Drop me some private mail if you need more help.
--
* Thomas Kocourek      KD4CIK        *