Re: Using dselect

On Mon, 13 Nov 1995, Jeffrey Ebert wrote:

>     Ean> Sorry if this is a silly question...  How do you get dselect
>     Ean> to reinstall an already installed package. I made a mess of
>     Ean> my Linux-1.2.13 source installing patches to it and cannot
>     Ean> figure out how to get dselect to install over the existing
>     Ean> version. I tried deleting the /usr/src/linux* directories in
>     Ean> the hope that this would cause dselect to reinstall but it
>     Ean> still thinks that they are there.
>
> I suggest that you check dpkg. You see, dselect was written as a front
> end to dpkg. So, if dselect has the restrictions you describe, dpkg
> probably does not. You can remove a package directly with dpkg
> --remove <packagename>, and you can install a package from a directory
> with dpkg --install <debianfile>.
>
> Jeff

Or, you can solve the problem in dselect. Simply choose the menu option
for removing packages, select the packages you wish to remove and let it
run. You should then be able to reinstall them using dselect as you have
been doing.

Removing packages with dselect or dpkg should remove all of the installed
files as well. Someone please correct me if this is not the case.

Have fun!

YHS,

Dale