Re: Using dselect

    Ean> Sorry if this is a silly question...  How do you get dselect
    Ean> to reinstall an already installed package. I made a mess of
    Ean> my Linux-1.2.13 source installing patches to it and cannot
    Ean> figure out how to get dselect to install over the existing
    Ean> version. I tried deleting the /usr/src/linux* directories in
    Ean> the hope that this would cause dselect to reinstall but it
    Ean> still thinks that they are there.

I suggest that you check dpkg. You see, dselect was written as a front
end to dpkg. So, if dselect has the restrictions you describe, dpkg
probably does not. You can remove a package directly with dpkg
--remove <packagename>, and you can install a package from a directory
with dpkg --install <debianfile>.

Jeff