Re: cron and runq problems

niels@cindy.et.tudelft.nl writes ("cron and runq problems"):
> I have some problems with cron and runq.
> I have a debian system which runs a mailing list, and because our
> link isn't very stable a lot of mails are deffered. But when cron runs
> runq it seems like it is starting up a runq for every message id left
> in the queue. Since each message id then uses 4 processes (1 cron,
> 1 zombie runq, and 2 running runq) the system gets pretty loaded when
> the message queue gets larger than 4 messages. If these messages aren't
> send by the time the next runq is started , the system starts swapping like
> hell becomes unuseable until a hard reset. If I start a runq by hand, only
> 2 runq's  are started and process the messages serially.
>
> Anyone knows whats happening here ???

It doesn't do this for me.  I think you need to check your crontab -
Smail's runq is usually run out of the `mail' user's crontab (source
in /etc/smail/crontab, installed version printed by `crontab -u mail
-l') every 20 minutes, and is invoked simply as `runq'.  I suspect you
have another crontab entry somewhere which runs runq, or are perhaps
running Smail -q1 or some such.

Ian.