cron and runq problems

Hi,

I have some problems with cron and runq.
I have a debian system which runs a mailing list, and because our
link isn't very stable a lot of mails are deffered. But when cron runs
runq it seems like it is starting up a runq for every message id left
in the queue. Since each message id then uses 4 processes (1 cron,
1 zombie runq, and 2 running runq) the system gets pretty loaded when
the message queue gets larger than 4 messages. If these messages aren't
send by the time the next runq is started , the system starts swapping like
hell becomes unuseable until a hard reset. If I start a runq by hand, only
2 runq's  are started and process the messages serially.

Anyone knows whats happening here ???

niels