Re: 3c509 loadable module - arguments ?

Bernd wrote:
> Ian Jackson:
> > The ethercard is a "plug and play" 3c509.
>
> At least in 1.3.37 the 3c509 driver reads the interrupt from the cards
> eeprom. So you have to set a propper IRQ into the card with a dos based
> utility.

There's a Linux utility for this, too -- saved my butt since I wiped
DOS out on a couple of new Dell machines before realizing that I needed
to change their ELink III connector in EEPROM from BNC to twisted pair.

I got the utility from D. Becker's home site -- sorry, lost the
URL, but I still have the source.  From the README:

> Linux Ethercard Diagnostic and Setup Programs
>
> This is a collections of user-level programs to check out the basic
> functionality of an ethercard. The "setup" programs can read (and sometimes
> even write) the EEPROM setup table of software-configured cards.
>
> Linux at CESDIS
> Author:Donald Becker, becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov.

On the larger issue of 3c509 loadable module working-ness, I have
never been able to get it to work reliably.  On a correctly-configured(tm)
system, the module would successfully load about half the time.

Compiling the driver into the kernel completely removed this problem.

Bill Gribble