Re: boot help

On Sat, 04 Nov 1995 12:12:30 -0500 (EST), "Debian Linux" <debian-user@pixar.com> wrote:
[stuff deleted]
> I tried to load Linux slackware on my 220M drive.  I partioned the
> drive with swap and native partitions.  When I loaded the mitsumi
> boot disk, I got the following message;
>      Unable to handle kernel paging at virtual address df43f900
>      some stuff...
>      task[0] (swapper) killed: unable to recover
>   kfree of non-kmalloced memory 001c03c4, next=00000000, order=0
>      Kernel panic: trying to free up swapper memory space
[stuff deleted]
>      In swapper task - not syncing
>      What does that "In swapper task - not syncing" error mean and
> how do I get rid of it?  I would like to work with a fully
> functional UNIX system and not a crippled one.  Thanks for any
> help you can give me.
>      If I can get the debian boot disk to work, I will certainly
> try out debian.  I prefer loading UNIX the way I want it, with
> whatever package I want from whatever category I choose.
>                               Tony DiStefano
>                               DISTEFANO@jaguar.uofs.edu

Hi Tony, long time since we talked last (2 or 3 COCOFEST ago). Amazing how
the old COCO folks have migrated to either OSK or LINUX. Anyhow, check your
BIOS settings. LINUX (any version) abhors "shadow ram". If any part of
memory has shadow ram enabled, if at all possible, disable it! Some BIOS's
won't let you shutoff key shadow ram (just so that you will be aware of it).

The major strengths of the DEBIAN version of LINUX: 1)incrementable loading -
install only that which you need (with the caution that many of the packages
depend on other packages) which leads to 2)a very strong install/maintenance
system. The "dpkg" program, with the "dselect" menuing front-end, keeps track
of what has been installed as well as automatically keeping track of package
dependencies. When you upgrade an already installed package, "dpkg" takes
care of all the details. If you find that you don't need/want a particular
package, "dpkg/dselect" will properly remove the package without introducing
fragmentation (leaving undeleted files like MS WINDOZES does).
--
* Thomas Kocourek      KD4CIK        *