Re: post-release package update policy

(this intended for the mailing list)

I also think that stable releases is very important, stable meaning that the
system does not crash during installation and that programs that have to do
with the running and maintainance of the system work well. It does not matter
for me if stable releases get somewhat out of date, and I prefer to have
remaining bugs at release date immortalized (like they are on a CD anyway).

A user who have never seen the /debian directory before will feel unsure what
to do next after getting there. There is a README.DEBIAN which says nothing
about how to go about downloading and installation, and what to do next.
Couldnt a maintainer take a little time-out to write something short to guide
new users on this?

Niels Larsen
niels@truth.mph.msu.edu