Re: post-release package update policy

On Mon, 23 Oct 95 12:33 GMT, debian-user@Pixar.com wrote:

(I realize that I'm coming into this discussion a bit late. Here's my
2 cents worth)

[stuff deleted]

> This is missing the point.  I think that trying to impose a version
> number on the whole system is a *very* bad idea.  It will artificially
> tie us to this absolutely ghastly idea of having frozen snapshots.

>From a user's (such as myself) point of view, I just want a reasonable
chance of being able to do a full install of debian and not have some-
thing _crash_ the system. It does not have to be a "bleeding edge"
installation. The conponents just need to work together.

> When you report a problem you just report the version numbers of the
> relevant packages on your systems - including the base disks, if
> relevant.  I think that the version number of the base disks used to
> install the system should be recorded somewhere, together with a list
> of which versions of which packages those disks contained.  Whenever
> reporting bugs in the basedisks you end up saying "I downloaded them
> at date XYZ".  But this is a separate issue.
>
> Please, please - let us not have frozen snapshots.  They'd be
> terrible, from everybody's point of view.  It's just a way to
> immortalise bugs.

I agree about the second item (bugs). How about a list of "version numbers"
per each official release? Given such a list (which would state the minimum
version numbers for a "stable" release), I could compare those numbers when
I have trouble and know if it is just an old package. I'm sure that
sites which are short on storage space would much rather have a highly
compressable text file than another "tree" of packages. The "PACKAGES" list
could be used for this purpose.
A second list would have the most current version number of all packages
(including the kernel version). This second list would be constantly updated
as packages are updated. The second list would make known which packages
are the "bleeding edge" packages as well as which are "bug fix" packages.
Again, this list would be a highly compressable text file.
Any comments?

--
* Thomas Kocourek      KD4CIK        *