Re: Mirror programs

There is a known memory leak in mirror 2.3 or perl4; you'll need the
following patch, posted on this list before:

	Date: Tue, 3 Oct 95 02:27 EDT
	From: "Simon Cooper" <scooper@hardees.Rutgers.EDU>
	Subject: Re: Mirroring ftp.debian.org

--
Patrick Weemeeuw, network manager
K.U.Leuven, KULeuvenNet, currently at the Dept. of Computer Science
	Celestijnenlaan 200 A, B-3001 Leuven, Belgium
Tel: +32 16 327635 Fax: +32 16 327996
E-mail: patrick.weemeeuw@kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be
PGP key: ftp://ftp.kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be/pub/people/patrick/pgpkey.asc

   Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 09:57:48 +0100 (MET)
   From: Harald Schueler <hs@ILP.Physik.Uni-Essen.DE>

   On Tue, 31 Oct 1995 Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca wrote:

   >   Ian> * Does it consume huge amounts of system resources ?
   >
   > As emacs or gcc.

   I use mirror-2.3 for over a year now, and while it works very well for
   me, my experience with resource consumption is a little bit different. On
   my computer mirror keeps consuming more and more memory during the
   transfer. When I mirror a linux distribution for the first time, mirror
   needs huge amounts of swap space (more than 60 MBytes, I can not say
   exactly how much, because mirror died before completing the task). This is
   not a real problem, because you can always run mirror again and eventually it
   will have completed, but I have to ulimit the memory available to mirror,
   to keep the system usable.

   I would like to know if I am the only one with this experience, or if
   this is a memory leak in my Perl (4.036, from Slackware 2.2 or 2.3).

   Harald Schueler
   Universitaet Essen                                    Tel +49-201-1832456
   Fachbereich 7                                         Fax +49-201-1832120
   45117 Essen                              Email hs@ILP.Physik.Uni-Essen.DE