Re: Mirror programs

On Thu, 2 Nov 1995, Harald Schueler wrote:

> transfer. When I mirror a linux distribution for the first time, mirror
> needs huge amounts of swap space (more than 60 MBytes, I can not say
> exactly how much, because mirror died before completing the task).
>
> I would like to know if I am the only one with this experience, or if
> this is a memory leak in my Perl (4.036, from Slackware 2.2 or 2.3).

When we first tried to start a our mirror we had all sorts of troubles.
We use mirror 2.3 on Perl 4.0.36, Linux 1.2.8 (Slackware 2.0 or so).
Among those troubles was mirror eating HUGE amounts of memory, and
transfering and retransfering a lot of files, and then deleting them. I
worked over the configuration file for a while, followed some suggestions
from the people on this list, increased swap space by ~100 MB's, splitted
the packages to smaller chunks, and voila, it works now. From what I saw,
I think mirror needs about 60~80 MB to initially mirror Debian, wich is
~260 MB in size.

We've been using mirror since then to update the archive, and the only
problem I'm still trying to figure out is WHY mirror insists on getting
EVERY file on debian-bugs EVERY time I run the mirror (that's about 18MB).

On Friday we'll be switching to Debian (bye, bye Slackware!)... then I'll
see what's going on with mirror and those files.

-Marcelo