Re: Some experiences with installation.

From: bviren@sksol1.physics.sunysb.edu (Brett Viren)
> First of all, the worst possible thing I could find with
> the CD (of Bruce's) is that the `Debian' ink stamp smudged. :)

I was waiting for someone to call me to task on that :-)
Save that CD, smudges and all. They're a piece of history.

> When I ran dselect I told it to use the
> mounted dir: /cdrom/binary, but it didn't seem to like this.

I think this might be fixed in the latest dselect 1.07 . The CD method
was too picky about what kind of directory it would enter.

> The other small gripe I have is over the `adduser' script that is
> invoked when one first logs in to the virgin system. I think that
> there should be a way to NOT add a user (besides root, ofcourse) at
> the beginning.

The problem is that we want to get a user name to which to mail
error messages, etc., and we want that name to be valid right away.
Perhaps we should let the user feed in some existing configuration
files (passwd, group, etc.) from floppy disk?

> Brett (#38 of 50!) Viren.

Numbers 51-70 exist, but they just give the number instead
of saying "# of first 50".

Hold onto that disk, because I'm not going to do it this way again!
Much too much was done manually in this short run, and too much went
wrong because of that.

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens
--