checksecurity (and stability in large networks)

I've been working for a while to get a debian-installed machine integrated
into our large workstation network.  This is a heterogeneous network, tied
together with NIS (sigh) and amd.  One of my reasons for switching over to
the debian release was because those tools came "out of the box."

Since then I've had a lot of trouble keeping things running in a stable
manner; the linux system has a tendency to just lock up.  One of the
culprits seems to be the cron jobs that sit in /etc/cron.daily; in
particular, checksecurity wants to run a find all over the amd and
nfs-mounted file space.  That explains my finding dozens of partitions
mounted over the net.  Now I think that the system should be able to handle
that, but it also shouldn't be called upon to do so.

So I humbly submit the following tiny patch to checksecurity, in the hope
that whoever maintains it will integrate it into the next release.

*** checksecurity	Thu Nov 30 10:45:37 1995
--- checksecurity.debian	Thu Nov 30 10:42:51 1995
***************
*** 11,17 ****
  umask 077
  cd /

! find `mount | grep -vE ' type (auto|nfs|proc|msdos|iso9660) |^/dev/fd| on /mnt' \
  	| cut -d ' ' -f 3` \
       -xdev \( -type f -perm +06000 -o -type b -o -type c \) -ls \
    | sort >$TMP
--- 11,17 ----
  umask 077
  cd /

! find `mount | grep -vE ' type (proc|msdos|iso9660) |^/dev/fd| on /mnt' \
  	| cut -d ' ' -f 3` \
       -xdev \( -type f -perm +06000 -o -type b -o -type c \) -ls \
    | sort >$TMP

jon

Jonathan Corbet
National Center for Atmospheric Research, Atmospheric Technology Division
corbet@stout.atd.ucar.edu	     http://www.atd.ucar.edu/rdp/jmc.html