Re: Chinese environment

Eddie Wednesday wrote:
>    I still don't understand what's the difference between X11R5 and X11R6.
> Now I use Debian Linux 0.93R6 and I want to use Chinese in X Window.But I
> don't know some softwares like "cxterm" , "crxvt" have version for X11R5
> or X11R6 ?? And which I should choose ? Can you understand what I say ?

Yes, I think I understand.

Debian GNU/Linux 0.93R6 uses XFree86 version 3.1.2. This version of X is
based on X11R6. X11R6 is newer than X11R5, but many systems still use
the older (X11R5) version.

If you can get cxterm and crxvt for X11R6, then that is the best choice.
If you can only get these programs for X11R5, then you should install
the Debian package xcompat, if you haven't already done so. If you look
at the Packages-Master file, you will see the following entry for
xcompat:

Package: xcompat
priority: optional
section: x11
maintainer: Stephen Early <sde1000@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
version: 3.1.2
revision: 2
provides: X11R5, xR5shlib
filename: debian-0.93/binary/x11/xcompat-3.1.2-2.deb

As you can see, this package provides X11R5 and xR5shlib. These should
allow you to run programs that were developed for X11R5. Of course, you
will still be able to run all of your X11R6 software as well.

--
Jeffrey Ebert-------------------------------------jebert@ix.netcom.com