Re: Has anyone had this happen before?

Tracy Phillips <rbstorie@msuvx2.memphis.edu> wrote:
> I have installed X Windows and my mouse has a mind of its own.  X
> starts fine but when i move my mouse it zips across the screen at an
> incrediable Mach 5 at least.  I have a microsoft compatable mouse
> and my graphics card is a Diamond Stealth 64 SE and the server that i
> am using is S3.  I can install Linux universe by unifix and
> everything works o.k.  I have even tried using the exact same
> XF86Config file from linux universe and and the mouse does the same
> thing.  Any suggestions?

I have had a similar problem, but have not got round to reporting it
before. The mouse is fine for down-right movements, but other
directions zip off to the edge of the screen. I get the problem with
both X and gpm. I did a hexdump on /dev/mouse. When I moved the mouse
down-right, the bytes come in groups of three. In other directions,
they are in groups of two, and three. I did the same tests on a
different machine, and got groups of three all the time. (Same mouse,
different hardware. Mouse works fine.)

The problem computer is a "Swift" PCI machine, with two 16550A serial
ports (as reported by setserial). I'm using a self compiled kernel,
(1.2.13), but had the same trouble with the distributed kernel. I've
got Debian 0.93R6 installed. I hope some of this means something to
someone. :)

| Neil Turton, Assistant computer officer | Snail Mail to:       |
|                                         |  Churchill college,  |
| e-mail: N.D.Turton@chu.cam.ac.uk        |  Cambridge. CB3 0DS. |
| GCM(M) d H s+:- !g p0>+ !au(-) a- w+ v C+++@ UL++++$(+++) P+   |
|   L+++ 3- E++ N-(+) K- W--- M-- V po Y+ t-- 5 !j R- G? !tv(-)  |