Re dead keys and X11

I wrote:

> I have successfully installed Debian Linux but a small problem remains. It may
> be related to the compose problem for which I haven't seen an answer.
>
> When using the X windows system, dead keys don't work... well applications
> receive an event like dead_acute and have to handle them. With Emacs, that
> is not a big problem, but I can't do it for xterms... It would not be annoying
> if the tilde (~) wasn't a dead key on my keyboard.

To solve the problem for xterms, I added a line

*XnlLanguage: fr_BE.ISO8859-1

in my system Xresources. After that, I could use the dead keys in the xterm
with one little problem: <dead_tilde> <space> could not generate an "~". I
had to modify /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose and change the
lines

<dead_tilde> <space> : "~" tilde
<SunFA_dead_tilde> <space> : "~" tilde

<dead_tilde> <space> : "~" asciitilde
<SunFA_dead_tilde> <space> : "~" asciitilde

(Is this a bug or a feature ? In this file, the lines for the compose sequences
are right)

For Emacs, I had to rely on my site-start to map dead keys sequences to the
corresponding characters.

 Jean-Marc Bourguet                      Service d'Electronique
                                         Faculte polytechnique de Mons
 Email : bourguet@muelec.fpms.ac.be      Belgique