Re: A couple suggestions to improve debian installation (long)

From: jvdmost@WI.LeidenUniv.NL (J.A.vanderMost)

> Why are there so many Slackware users ?

I don't think they had much of a choice when they installed their systems.
I agree we do need to improve the installer, and am working on it.

I see you are one of my CD customers, thus you were doing the new
two-CD install.

> But when it was time to (re)partition my harddisk, we were back in the
> stoneage; no colors, no message giving some advice....

This is changing in two ways.
1. The fdisk program itself is changing.
2. I am writing a different front-end for fdisk/mkfs/mkswap/mount using
   ncurses forms in C++.

> I have only one word for the automatic CD-Rom drive selection : GREAT!!!

Thanks! Did it find your CD right away, or did you have to load modules?
What kind of CD drive was it? I did the CD selection specially for my
CD - I have uploaded the new boot disks, but I haven't documented it for
anyone else to use yet.

> The hostname entry was again in back and white. I'm sure this could be done
> a little better.

This is another area that could profit from ncurses forms.

> The up-arrow key at the top-most menu entry should jump to the last menu entry
>  and a down-arrow key at the last menu entry should jump to the first entry.
> (This is just a matter of taste, feel free to disagree on this one.)

That should properly go to the "dialog" maintainer.

> Dselect needs some getting used to, but it is not so bad afterall.
> It gives me a lot more freedom than the slackware installation.

I think Ian Jackson has plans to make it more user-friendly.

> I noticed that there wasn't an option to configure /dev/mouse and /dev/modem.
> I think it is very usefull to have these two symbolic links. That way
> switching my modem to an other serial port is a lot easier.

Yes. Winfried has already done a preliminary auto-detect for Hayes-compatible
modems. I think I could make it find Mice as well.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Visit the "Toy Story" Web Page! http://www.toystory.com