0.93R6: pppd gives "block on freelist isn't free" system errors

I installed (an incomplete) 0.93R6 from ftp.debian.org over the
weekend, including the ppp package. I haven't yet built a new kernel, but
am using the boot one supplied during installation.

I'm having the following problem with PPP: I can connect and ping, but
when I use ftp or telnet, I get "block on freelist isn't free: ..."
errors in /var/adm/messages.

I did some dejanews archive searching on this, and found others with
similar complaints, but no clear solution. Any insights or similar
experiences? An initial attempt to rebuild the kernel generated some
compiler warnings in ppp-specific files.

Thanks,
Dan Halbert