Re: /dev/audio & /dev/dsp permissions

>What permissions exactly are /dev/audio and /dev/dsp supposed to have?
>On my freshly installed R6 system, after I recompiled the kernel I had
>crw-rw----, is that what it supposed to be?  Don't "others" need rw
>permissions?
>Its too late, and I'll test it tomorrow, but mirrormagic game tells me
>it can't open sound device, so that is why I am asking this.

When I was at Texas A&M, I would sometimes annoy my roommate by
sending fun .au's to his /dev/audio, and once evesdropped on him and a
friend making a gameplan by sending his /dev/audio to my /dev/audio.
He quickly made the mode on /dev/audio 0660.

The permissions are correct.  The idea is that only people in audio
group can wake you up in the middle of the night.  You need to add
yourself (and anybody else you want to have access to your speakers)
to the audio group.

--
http://www.wp.com/joelh --- Joel Ray Holveck --- piquan@webstar.net

Fourth law of computing:
  Anything that can go wro
.signature: segmentation violation -- core dumped