Re: 1.0 (Are diskettes worth it???)

On Tue, 14 Nov 1995 orloff@lapphp0.in2p3.fr wrote:

> Mark, having gone through the installation just recently, I would say having
> the diskettes around are a good thing for safety reasons. If you upgrade to
> Debian, are you sure your Slackware emergency boot diskettes are still
> efficient? I've used the Debian boot diskette quite a few times the last few
> days...

Yes, I appreciate what you are saying and it would be the safest but I
don't mind living on the edge in this case because I'm using a "spare"
machine and at worst I can load up from the InfoMagic <yes, washing my
mouth> CD.

> diskettes at my disposal!!!

In general, I agree, but... :) ... actually, I may have to yet as no one
has given me a clue as to how I _could_ crack open the 1440* diskset so
I could proceed with an installation.

My guess is that I could use dd and write the raw files directly to the
hard drive... I mean once I have the files themselves I can obviously move
them around where I want... then boot, like I just want to load them into
the current /tmp dir, set up lilo to boot on an alternate vmlinuz image
and see what happens... I mainly want to get at dpkg and see how it
works... and install a set of ELF binaries.. and the latest 1.3.40+
kernel... etc etc.

      Mark Constable             \ | /        voice +61755 275724
      Australia                -- ION --       data +61755 393966