Re: speaking of system time, I can't set mine across boots

Matthew Swift writes:
> Hi, ever since the change back to EST from EDT, my system clock has
> been an hour fast.  I set it with date --set, and the time remains
> changed for the duration of the session, but when I reboot, it's back
> to being an hour fast.  I boot via an MSDOS-MBR -> linux partition with LILO.
> If I reboot and then go to either DOS or Debian, the clock is still
> the old time too.
>
> My machine is standalone, and I have xntpd installed but the daemon
> turned off.  The same thing happens if I use ntpdate to set the clock
> while I am ppp'd to a network.  The same thing happens if I set the
> time while su'd to root or actually logged in to root.
>
> If I set the time with the MSDOS time command, the system stays
> set....
>
> Any ideas on what the problem is?

The date command doesn't actually seem to save the time. Have to use DOS
date or set the time in the BIOS.

Andrew

--
Dehydration - 34%, Recollection of previous evening - 2%, embarrassment
factor - 91%.  Advise repair schedule:- off line for 36 hours, re-boot

Andrew Howell				               andrew@it.com.au
Perth, Western Australia		      howellaa@cs.curtin.edu.au