Re: NE*000 ethercard probe... unable to get IRQ 0 (irqval=-16).

  Matt Birkholz  writes:
  Matt>  I have a PCIbus-based Pentium machine with an NE2000-compatible
  Matt> ISA<->ethernet adapter that does not work.  Anyone else?

I use two PCI Pentium boxes (with intel zappa and asus p55tp4 motherboards)
which both have an ISA bus NE2000 clone called "Magitronic" (no manufacturer
address in the manual :-) and it works just fine. Cheapest card I could fine
in town ... The one problem I had was that the Debian boot disks needed the
	ether=10,0x300,0,0,eth0
at the lilo prompt or equivalently
	append = "ether=10,0x300,0,0,eth0"
in /etc/lilo.conf. Interrupt 10 and base address 0x300 are softset into the
card from a MS-DOG program supplied with the card.

The lilo stuff is not needed with self-compiled kernels (from 1.2.10 or
1.2.13). In the bootdisk, it was due to a probe conflict with some other
hardware as Bruce Perens wrote me. Anyway, the GREAT news is that Donald
Becker has two small programs on his site
	ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/diag/ne2k.c       (9536 bytes)
	ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/setup/atlantic.c  (5909 bytes)
"atlantic" permits to set the card from (10base2<->10baseT, irq, address,
etc) so you don't need to boot MS-DOG anymore. "ne2k" probes the card.

Hope this helps,

--
Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca          http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd