Re: Modules = Yackhhhh...

Most of the dissatisfaction with modules comes from the fact that the
Linux module system is incomplete. The 1.3 kernel is now transitioning
to an implementation where there will be little to distinguish a driver
that is linked in to the kernel from a driver that is loaded from a module.
One thing I'm waiting for is SCSI adapter modules that work (they currently
load but do not probe the SCSI bus). That's almost here. That will help with
the almost-too-big-to-boot installation kernels, which currently have most
SCSI drivers linked in to them. Currently it's necessary to build
your own kernel if you want one that runs efficiently. Once all drivers work
correctly from modules, this won't be necessary.

Daemons are sort of like TSRs, too. The things that made TSRs odious under
DOS was the way they hooked into interrupt vectors to get their work done.
Fortunately, we don't have to do anything that ugly.

	Bruce

--
See Pixar's "Toy Story", at a theater near you starting November 22.
"Toy Story" Toys and Soundtrack Album are available now!