Standards for httpd files (was: Re: Fast httpd (not cern))

On Sun, 5 Nov 1995, Gudmundur Ragnar wrote:
> I use the Cern httpd on a few macines, both as a normal server
> and proxy. It works well but for a certain project I need a fast
> server for many hits / small documents.
> Spinner and NCSA are options but alas, non debian.

I've got a debianized version of apache (a descendant of NCSA that is
supposed to be better for high-traffic sites).  Its functional, but I've
been fretting over the extent to which I should plagarize the
configuration script from cern.

> Is there a debian version or at least some suggestions
> for where to put things to conform to the File system standard?

This is also part of what's held me up.  I've sort of appropriated
/var/lib/apache-httpd, but I don't know if that's appropriate --- there's
bits of the FSSTND that I find, uh, unclear.

Anyone have any opinions?  The cern-httpd maintainter (Ted H.?) wrote a
nifty script to give people a ridiculous amount of configurability in the
post-inst---should I adapt this for apache, or should we establish
"standard" places and groups and such?

> But working with a non debian package is just too much for me.
> So could someone please help?

If apache would serve your needs, drop me a line.

I would also appreciate any feedback from other interested parties.

Mike.
--
"I'm a dinosaur.  Somebody's digging my bones."