Re: Mirror programs

  Ian Jackson writes:
  Ian>  There seems to have been a lot of inconclusive discussion here about
  Ian> mirror programs.

There is a (AFAIK very popular) perl program called "mirror".

  Ian> If you know of a reasonable mirror program could you please post here,
  Ian> with the answers to the following questions ?  Thanks.
  Ian>
  Ian> * Where do I get it ?

I just uploaded it to ftp.debian.org as a debianized package that I built
this afternoon. I have it from
	ftp://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/mirror/mirror-2.8.tar.gz

  Ian> * Is it reliable ?

Yes. I use it now for over a month now to mirror the directories I want from
ftp.debian.org (I exclude experimental and some other areas) via 14.4 kB
slip. The only problems I experienced appear to be related only to the
dip/slip part (ie quality of the line etc) and not to "mirror" itself.

  Ian> * Does it require any special software ?  (Perl4, Perl5, Python.)

Perl5 as shipped with Debian. Will run out of the box, I hope.

  Ian> * Will it cope properly with files being deleted ?

Yes.

  Ian> * Will it cope properly with symbolic links ?

Yes. But not hard links.

  Ian> * Would it cope with the kind of changes that were recently made to
  Ian> ftp.debian.org ?

You have to adapt your local parameter files if the host changes and you do
not want to copy everything blindly.

  Ian> * Does it consume huge amounts of system resources ?

As emacs or gcc.

  Ian> * Would you recommend it ?  Any other comments ?

Suits me. Your mileage may vary. There are others around, a python-based one
mentioned here but I don't use python (yet ?).

--
Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca          http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd