re:Installation Assistance Needed

>I would like to know what files/directory structures I need to
>ftp to do a Debian/Linux installation.  I have used a very early
>Slackware release as well as a SLS release prior to that.  I
>checked out the WWW site for Debian and printed out the documentation
>that was there.  What I found leaves a lot to be desired.

I'd suggest using 'dftp' to choose packages if you have access to a
uinx machine with FTP.

First, get the 5 disks needed to start the install and build yourself
a Debian base system.  If your Debian system has FTP access, you might
be able to run 'dftp' from there.  If not, go to a unix system that does
and run it there.  You can find it in the Debian distribution under
"contrib/tools/dftp-1.1.csh".  (rename it to just "dftp").

Do "dftp" or "dftp -help" for all sorts of information.

On your FTP machine create an empty installed-packages file with
the command "cd ~; mkdir packages; touch packages/.packages-installed".
Then do a "dftp getnew -describe".  For more options, do "dftp -help".

Once it finishes building a list of available packages, you can go through
all the packages (with their descriptions) and decide which ones you want.
Just put a "#" in front of any file you don't want.

When you exit the editor, let it run until it gets all the files.
See "dftp -help" for information on how to procede from there.

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions about it.  (I wrote it.)

                                        Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@bnr.ca )