    Hi again.

    I discovered that I had in my /etc directory two files, one named
`group' and on named `group~', the diff of which being

---------------------- quote -------------
# diff group group~
2d1
< --quiet::101:

  I have no idea who or what changed the original /etc/group (if that
is what happened) or what that would have had to do with `lpr', but I
changed it back and the problem went away AFAIK.

  It so happens that I installed cern-http and xntp last night, so if
either of those mess with /etc/groups, I guess that's the explanation.

  Thanks for the help.

  Cheers!
   Bill