Re: installing TeX

On Tue, 3 Oct 1995, Bill Hogan wrote:

>   How can it be that the "I" in the two error messages shown below
> does not "know how to generate cmss10.mf" and "can't find file
> `cmss10.mf'"
>
> ------------------------ quote -------------------------
> $ locate cmss10
> /G/texmf.Debian/fonts/metafont/src/cm/cmss10.mf
> ----------------------- unquote ------------------------
>
> and
>
> ------------------------ quote -------------------------
> $ ls -ld /usr/lib/texmf
> lrwxrwxrwx   ...  /usr/lib/texmf -> /G/texmf.Debian
> ------------------------ unquote -----------------------
(Didn't I already replied to this one?)
Anyway: Revision 4 changed the search paths for mf, tfm, ...
to comply to the TeX Directory standard.

.mf files are expected in

or to be precise, they are searched in
 /usr/lib/texmf/fonts/source//, /usr/local/lib/texmf/fonts/source//
 and /var/spool/texmf/fonts/source//

I'began writing a document describing the debian-TeX setup, but
it is not ready for uploading (and won't be in the next few days because
there is too much work here I'm paid for)

Nils