Re: problems with elv-vi package install

On Wed, 27 Sep 1995, Andrew Howell wrote:

> Zachary DeAquila writes:
> >

> > I tried to installt he elv-vi package and got this:
> >
> > ---snip-snip-snip--
> >
> > zachs:/binary/editors# dpkg --install elv-vi-1.8pl4-16.deb
> > Selecting previously deselected package elv-vi.
> > (Reading database ... 9882 files and directories currently installed.)
> > Unpacking elv-vi (from elv-vi-1.8pl4-16.deb) ...
> > Setting up elv-vi ...
> > /var/lib/dpkg/info/elv-vi.postinst: update-alternatives: command not found
> > dpkg: error processing elv-vi (--install):
> >  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  elv-vi
> >
> > ---snip-snip-snip--
> >
> > Like any good linux hacker, I then poked at the script in question
> > (/var/lib/dpkg/info/elv-vi.postinst)
> >
> > And, sure enough, it's expecting a command called 'update-alternatives', that,
> > as far as I can tell, is supposed to make some symbolic links.  Should I already have this
> > program? is it a packaging problem?  I'm using dpkg 0.93.70, which is pretty cloe to the latest,
> > as I recall.
> >
> > help?
>
> You need to upgrade to the latest dpkg, 77 or 78, Ian Jackson added
> update-alternatives stuff in around 75 i think.
>
> Andrew

> Dehydration - 34%, Recollection of previous evening - 2%, embarrassment
> factor - 91%.  Advise repair schedule:- off line for 36 hours, re-boot
> startup disk, and replace head - wow, what a night!
>                 -- Kryten in Red Dwarf `The Last Day'
>
> Andrew Howell				               andrew@it.com.au
> Perth, Western Australia		      howellaa@cs.curtin.edu.au

I had problems installing elv-vi also and found out when using update
alternatives you also need debian/binary/devel/perl-5.003.deb.
I think update alternatives needs /usr/lib/perl5/POSIX.pm which is in the
above mentioned package.
Dick

 __
 Dick  Arnold            *****************************    darnold@mail.fgi.net
 2015 N. 8th St.         |   Debian GNU/Linux 0.93   |    Ph. 217-528-8918
 Springfield, IL 62702   *****************************