System Hangs!

Well, I've done everything that I can think of and the system still hangs. I
am running kernel 1.2.13 R2, and have downloaded and installed all of the
packages in base. I have assumed that this will bring me up to date, but my
crashing problem still occures. I have PPP working and it is really
agrivating to be in the middle of a download, or talking on a Moo and hear
the disk clatter for a second and then everything stops. Reset is the only
way to recover and when Linux reboots it takes quite some time running
e2fsck. This seems to be disk related. I can crash the system on demand by
doing a:
find / -name tput*.deb

I have never had this experience with Linux before. My last system typically
stayed up for 30 days at a time with no lockups.

I know this is a bad time to ask for anything, but I really need some
pointers here.

Thanks,

YHS, Dale