Re: Slackware user planning change, but...

  Weiping Hu writes:
  Weiping>  some of the packages files are far greater than my floppy disk
  Weiping> size (1.44), how can I put them on floppy disks?  I have no
  Weiping> network, no cd rom on my home computer.  Is it possible?  Thanks
  Weiping> in advance.

I used the 'tar' command to create archives that spanned several floppy
disks. For example
	$ tar cvfM /dev/fd0 ~/newstuff/*
would take whatever it finds in the newstuff directory and write it to
several disks in the drive that's called 'A:' under MS-DOG. Note that the
disks need to be low-level formatted. Then at home
	$ cd my_newstuff
	$ tar xvfM /dev/fd0
expands it all into the current directory and below.

The helpful thing was that I could write at the lab on a Sparcstation onto
floppies in its drive and read it out at home.

Hope that helps,

--
Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca