Re: Can't find stuff to configure and recompile Kernel.

Robert F. Antoniewicz writes:
>I installed Debian again (last time was a year and a half ago) after
>finally figuring out how to get the machine to recognize the soundblaster
>scsi interface (I installed the packages from the Infomagic Linux
>developer's resource - March 95).  But when I go to reconfigure the Kernel
>and recompile it, I cannot find the makefile in /usr/src/linux to do 'make
>config'.  I tried the command anyway, and it said it could not find the
>rules to make config.

Sounds like you either don't have the kernel source installed at all,
or it's broken in some way.  You want to reinstall, possibly even
download a new copy from the ftp site.

>WHen I installed, I used dpkg-deb -i *.deb is this my faux pas???  Or
>is the kernel configurer and compiler someplace else in debian???

Use dpkg, not dpkg-deb.

--
Richard Kettlewell                 <URL:http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/>
Home+work: <richard@elmail.co.uk>