Can't find stuff to configure and recompile Kernel.

I am sure I have messed up something, but I am not sure what!?!?!

I installed Debian again (last time was a year and a half ago) after
finally figuring out how to get the machine to recognize the soundblaster
scsi interface (I installed the packages from the Infomagic Linux
developer's resource - March 95).  But when I go to reconfigure the Kernel
and recompile it, I cannot find the makefile in /usr/src/linux to do 'make
config'.  I tried the command anyway, and it said it could not find the
rules to make config.

WHen I installed, I used dpkg-deb -i *.deb
is this my faux pas???  Or is the kernel configurer and compiler someplace
else in debian???

Bob A

Of course you must realize, that I do not
speak for the organization I work for.