Re: installation directories

> I partitioned my disks so that /usr, /var, /, /usr/local, /home are seperate.
> Since most packages install the bulk of their stuff in /usr I am wondering
> what to do when the number of packages that I want to install becomes too
> large to squeeze into /usr.  I can imaging moving /usr/doc, /usr/info,
> /usr/games, /usr/man to someplace else and soft linking them.  But this
> seems silly.  I made /usr 200 Mb so it is not tiny, but hopefully there
> will be more and more nice debian packages!  Many packages are not what
> I would think of as core parts of the operating system. For example
> xfig, kermit, c2man, indent, pmake, minicom, ghostview, xv and many
> others come to mind.  Would it be possible for some packages to have
> an alternate installation path without causing all sorts of problems?
>
> just a thought,
>
> Stuart Marshall

Agreed...  I've installed quite a few packages and only got a 150meg root
partition whihc is where usr is...  I had to removed some packages to
installed emacs I can tell you :) <grin>  I would like to see an
'alternate' installation path - would this be logical (ie: /usr/local) or
something?

Regards,

...Karl

--
 |                         PO Box 828   Office: (09)316-3036 Fax: (09)381-3909
 |OWER INTERNET SERVICES   Canning Bridge   After Hours:  015-779-828
                           WA, 6153     Sales Support: sales@tower.com.au
Internet Service Providers
 and Networking Solutions