PPP connection?

Well, getting the interrupts set right got minicom working fine. I am still
unable to get a ppp connection to work. (Going back and forth between Linux
and Windblows is such a pain!)
I am using the options and ppp-connect scripts with minor modifications to
the options script (I added -detach because it seemed appropriate but didn't
get me any farther) and to the best I can tell, chat dials out and the
modems negotiate for baud rate but nothing else happens. Eventually the
modem disconnects, but during the whole process I get no messages or
indications that things are going either well or badly. I know if I wait
till monday I can get help from my internet provider, but that's three days
away, so here are my questions.

a: Is there any way to get pppd to talk to me while it works?

b: Why is 255.255.255.255 not a valid net mask but 255.255.255.0 is?

c: What do I have to do to give a user on my system access to the PPP
connection once I make it?

YHS, Dale