Re: System Hangs and the Kernel

>> I can also get it with: dpkg -s image
>
>Be careful.  dpkg will only show you the last version that it installed.
>If you ever were to find yourself building a kernel from the generic
>distribution, you would probably have a more recent version.  'uname -a'
>or 'uname -r' will give a more authoritative answer.
>
>--
>  David H. Silber     dhs@firefly.com     Project: Debian GNU/Linux (backup)
>  <http://www.access.digex.net/~dhs/>     Wanted:  Spare time.
>
>				Programmer for hire.

Well, at this point I am just trying to unpack this big box of goodies, so
nothing is on the system that wasn't put there by dpkg. I am pretty sure
that if I went to the trouble of finding another kernel and rebuilding it, I
would remember which version I used. At the very least I could look it up in
my notes.

What I really need to know is:

a: Do I need to do anything more than a dpkg installation for the newly
installed kernel to be the one that boots on the next reboot?

b: Are there any other packages that should be updated, other than the
modules package?

YHS, Dale