Source packaging arrangements (was Re: Debian vs. BOGUS)

   Date: Tue, 5 Sep 95 21:33 BST
   From: Ian Jackson <iwj10@cus.cam.ac.uk>

   [...]
   Most Debian packages don't modify any of the source code of the
   originals; where they do they do so to fix bugs and other problems.

		   ^

That's it there --> <-- right there; *that's* the part that gives me the
willies.  (I hope my diagram was not too complicated. :-)

   [...]
   I have spoken to many people about Debian, and the fact that I could
   say that we make available the actual source code used by the
   maintainers to build the packages in an immediately useable form has
   been a very powerful argument.

That is not at issue.  No one is proposing that we not provide the source.

   [...]
   I am strongly opposed to changing this policy.

Yeah, but why?  Is no hill of beans sacred?

   [...more non-issues elided...]

Matt Birkholz <birkholz@midnight.com.>
PGP 2.6.2 Public Key ID = 74305425
        Key Fingerprint = B3 34 FB 3E 3C FE E8 57  AA B4 B2 95 A7 C0 1E AF
Finger birkhol@primenet.com for key.  (Note missing "z"; thank you, Primenet.)