Re: Strange error

James W. Lynch writes:

>Today while running ppp to my internet server, I got the following
>message:
>
>TRANS(SocketINETConnect) () can't connect: errno = 111
>
>Can anyone tell me what it is trying to tell me?  I got it
>before and after a vi session.  Seems like there were 4 or 5 in a
>row.  It didn't affect the vi session, but took about a mintue or two
>before it came up.

I'm running Debian's PPP package version 2.1.2b-1 and I've never seen
that particular message.

111 is `Connection Refused' where I come from.  Is there anything
running in the background that might be trying to talk to the outside
world?  It could run out of cron, be permanently alive, or run from
/etc/ppp/ip-up; or something I haven't thought of.

Are you using Smail, sendmail, neither, or something else?

Anything relevant in any of the files in /var/log?

Are you certain it came from your machine rather than the machine you
are connected to?

ttfn/rjk