Re: portables, mail, and sporadic connectivity

On Thu, 17 Aug 1995, Norman Walsh wrote:

> I imagine that sendmail can be setup to do this, but the default behavior
> is warnings and errors after hours and a few days.  Is the solution as
> simple as uping some warning and expiration times?

I used to do this with a ppp-connected computer earlier.  The general
thought is to force a MX(nameserver) check of the destination address of
all mail and to make sure your own computer is not used for this.

Sendmail will then fall back and try the secondary MX server which should
be some name-server you trust to be up all the time.  It is also
important that the name and ip-address of this server is also present in
your /etc/hosts file.

I've modified /usr/src/sendmail/cf/debian-local.mc to do this. (Beware, I
haven't tried this, as I'm presently without ppp-connectivity.

----8<----
divert(-1)
#
# deb-local.mc
#
# This is what you should use to create your site's configuration.
# That way you don't have to destroy the examples.
#
# Jonathan Rozes <jrozes@musketeers.tufts.edu>
#
include(`../m4/cf.m4')
OSTYPE(debian)dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
FEATURE(nouucp)dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
define(`confBIND_OPTS', True)
define(`confMESSAGE_TIMEOUT', 365d/1h)
define(`confFALLBACK_MX', samson.misjonshs.no)
define(`confAUTO_REBUILD', True)

Compile this and copy the resulting file to /etc/sendmail.cf.

Messages will be queued since it can't connect to the name-server, and you
might want to run sendmail -q to make sure they are sent  when you are
connected. (If you use ppp this could be acomplished in /etc/ppp/ip-up)

If anyone try this, please don't use samson.misjonshs.no!

Vebby