Re: mailto from Netscape fail

Oz Dror:
   This problem seems to be occurs in the debian distribution.  Does
   not occur in the slackware distribution

   I set options->preferences->Mail (SMTP) Server-> to localhost
   when I try sending mail from netscape locally (to myself)
   I get:
   Netscpape's network connection was refused by the server: localhost

Try installing the smail package.  Not everyone needs to be able to
send and/or receive mail...

   I also found out that in /etc/inetd.conf the SMTP line is commented

   sending mail from elm or mailx works fine.

Ok, it's true, there's a very simplistic mailer included in the base
debian system.  This allows the system to mail various reports to
someone on the system.  But, as you've observed, it's not adequate for
all purposes.

   -----------------
   I am not sure if the following is a related problem, but
   when I send mail to the user uucp or fax
   I get the following:

   mail -v uucp
   Subject: test
   .
   Cc:
   Null message body; hope that's ok
   mail.local: /var/spool/mail/uucp: Permission denied
   uucp... unknown mailer error 1
   Saving message in /root/dead.letter

I suspect this would go away if you installed the [current] uucp
package.

--
Raul