Re: Transition to ELF, GCC 2.7.x

Gleb asked:
>   However, considering Linux's transition to ELF I have the
> following question: when/if Debian is changing to ELF, what version of GCC

When. Debian will definitively switch to ELF, although current plans
are for one official a.out release

> is ELF system going to use (Slackware beta uses 2.6.3 because of Fortran
> support), and most importantly will the "no need to reinstall from
> scratch" be applicable to ELF change?

Currently an elf-gcc-2.7.0 is available; we switched to it from 2.6.3
after it proved stable enough.

The change to ELF will of course be done by package updates, not by
a reinstall from scratch. The current (experimental) ELF packages
are designed to function next to their a.out versions. Of course, when
we actually move to ELF, this will change. The move to ELF will
probably be comparable to the recent upgrade of the X packages,
i.e. using the Debian package utilities with some extra instructions.

Hope this helps,
Ray
--
POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.