comments on 0.91 beta (sorry for previous)

Hi all ya out there,

decided to do something funny and grabbed debian from ftp.nl.net......

before this I was running slackware 1.1.1, but was not completely satisfied,
and I was bored anyway, so I took the big step and went on to a new instal-
lation.

So, I selected which packages i wanted (a selection from categories devel, doc
util, ghostscript and net), send them over to my home, made floppies from this
(my own arrangement....), rawritten the basedisks, and booted.

It looked very nice indeed (suggestion to make it even nicer, add colors to the
menu. ex-dos users just *love* colors. take blue for background, white for text,
and yellow for checkmarks or something like that :-).

went on with installing base, no prob at all (I already had my hd partitioned,
so I haven't looked into this option. I hope it is clear enough,cos dos-users
probably don't no shit about partitions and stuff). Another comment on the
words 'mounting' and 'file-system'. Maybe, just maybe, a little more explanation
is justified here, for the computer-illiterate people out there....

created the boot-disk, logged in as root and run 'dpkg'. Same comment here, try
to add some color.... At first the difference between 'select category' and
'package selection' wasn't clear to me, so maybe a little more comment there
too.

I heared something about a re-write of dpkg in C. If so, maybe a selection-
mechanism with a moving selectionbar (you know, cursor up, cursor down) and
selection with <space> is little trouble to build in. I sure would like it.

I was a bit surprised when I found out that I had to exit dpkg and type
'dpkg --process /dev/fd0 msdos' to actually install the packages. Isn't it
possible to add an item 'Do installation' in dpkg????? sounds very logical to
me.

then the strange stuff..... when installing some packages (of the top of my
head: gsfonts1.deb gsfonts2.deb gsmisc.deb gsnox.deb linuxsrc.deb, and most
(if not all) of the packages from 'util'), dpkg said something like:

	package not installed

and then, in the and of the procedure, told me that the packages where
'encrypted' and that I was using an old version of gzip ........ Now is
there something wrong with the copy of the files on the site where I got them,
or what?? I checked, debian uses gzip v1.2.4, which is, to my best knowledge
the latest.

One more thing I now remember..... The first time I installed packages, I
accidentally type 'q' <return>. So, logically, dpkg exited (it's supposed to).
When I then restarted dpkg with 'dpkg --process /dev/fd0 msdos' , I found out
I had to make the selections again! dpkg had forgotten about the selection
I made before. not nice :-).

And at last, when the installation was completed (except for the packages
mentioned above), dpkg asked me if it should generate a whatis database. I
answered with yes, but it didn't......

Maybe I'm just repeating things mentioned here long before. If so, I'm sorry,
but I only subscribed to this list yesterday (again, I've been on it before),
and this is the first time I'm trying to install debian myself.....

And I'm sorry I'm not able to donate any money or hardware, but I'm just a
poor student (If I had a job, I'd probably send you a quarter or two :-).
Maybe I can donate time in some near future. Have to familiarize myself a
little with this stuff first, and build up my selfconsiousness...

Maarten

|    Maarten Boekhold, Faculty of Electronical Engineering TU Delft,  NL    |
|       boekhold@morra.et.tudelft.nl       M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl         |
|     There ought to be a funny line here, but I'm still searching one      |